Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Lost Month


So June is over and I managed to post only once. Guess I'm not ready for professional blogging yet after all. I swear, I do have a good excuse. Several excuses really.

The first and grandest excuse for my absence from the world wide web is that we Pierces moved to a NEWWW house on June 24th. After a hellava negotiation process to unload our other house, we finally arrived at an acceptable deal with the buyers (thanks in large part to our realtor, Sussan O'Brien, who I'd recommend to anyone in a heartbeat) and we were able to move forward with buying a NEWWW house!!

The new place is palatial by our old standards, dwarfing our previous house. We went from 2 bedrooms to 4; 1 bathroom to 2.5, no garage to a 2-car attached; a postage stamp yard to a respectable romping ground for all of us. Needless to say, we are loving it. I don't know if I have an absolute-hands-down favorite part of the house yet (I love it all, really) but I am pretty enamoured of Violet's room. It was already painted the perfect shade of--you guessed it--Violet--when we moved in and is easily twice a large as her old room. It has plenty of space for her growing toy collection, her little kid library, a smelly diaper pail, and, her newest addition, her big-girl bed!

In our old house, Violet's room was still The Nursery. It was an idea of a baby's room, The Nursery was, an idea hatched in my mind upon finding out I was pregnant. Babies r Us and Pottery Barn Kids showed me photos of how I was supposed to house a baby and I thought, "This is good, this is cute, my baby must have this." I shopped and I researched, I poured over catalogues and safety guidelines, I deliberated--I shit you not--DELIBERATED FOR DAYS--over what the baby's crib bedding would be. The crib bedding was key of course, because, much like Ohio during a national election, the crib bedding is a bellweather for the rest of the nursery. A proper nursery theme begins with the crib bedding and goes on from there. I chose the Penelope bedding from Pottery Barn Kids and I am lead to believe that the price of the bedding must be inversely proportional to the baby's desire to lay on it. It was damn expensive and Violet spent ZERO nights sleeping on it. Not a one. She much preferred the Target sheets on Mommy and Daddy's bed. Or maybe she preferred Mommy and Daddy...

Anyway, we set up Vi's big girl bed, a double mattress and box spring on the floor, on our second night in the house and, wonder of wonders, she has fallen to sleep in it every night since. She is also logging 1-2 naps in her bed every day allowing Shawn and I to get shit done around the house. It was never possible for me to lay down with her while she drifted off when the crib was her bed and she woke up instantly every time we went to lay her in it. Now I can go lay down with her and nurse her to sleep. She hasn't made it all night in her own bed yet, but I'm fine with that. Even though Shawn and I had discussed how much easier it would be to put Violet to bed once we moved, the reality of her being in her own room didn't hit me til the night we made her bed up. I think moving her has been a bigger deal for me than for her. So when I hear her on the monitor at 2 or 3 am, I am always happy to go grab her and bring her back to our bed for the rest of the night.



Other bonuses about our new house: we are .8 miles from my brother Andy and his wife Aly. This means extra playtime with Vi's cousins Jack and Charlie. We also moved into a great little well-established neighborhood with an active homeowners association. We got here just in time to be a part of the 4th of July parade complete with a marching band and a flaming baton twirler. The neighbors we've met seem wonderful--the couple next door has lived in their home for 40 years and brought us over a lemon poppy seed cake to welcome us. My guess is that Charles and Lorraine will not have the same sort of alcohol fueled late night spats and loud make-up sex like our previous neighbors...Seems we've landed squarely in Pleasantville.

Finally, perhaps my most favoritest part of this new house is the thing we just turned on today...our wireless router! No more hunching over a desk in the wee hours to get a blog posted! I am writing this in the comfort of my own bed! Love it!

2 comments:

Babs said...

Still kicking myself for missing the flaming baton twirler!

Anonymous said...

Yay! welcome to the neighborhood! We are so excited to have you guys close by. You have definitely landed in Pleasantville, complete with great neighbors. (you've earned it after the last guy)

The house is wonderful & I think you have transitioned Violet beautifully. The fact that she's making it until 2-3am in her own bed is awesome. (even her big cousin Jack still climbs into mommy & daddy's bed in the middle of the night sometimes) You no doubt timed it well & have a great set-up with her big girl bed on the floor.